Ak-Chin Pavilion is the famous amphitheatre in Phoenix, Arizona where you can see your favourite bands and musicians perform live. The venue hosts the biggest concerts from the hottest acts all throughout the summer and regularly holds music tours.
The Ak-Chin Pavilion has a rich history of famous performances, festivals and even names for the venue itself. When it originally opened in 1990 it was called the Desert Sky Pavilion, with Billy Joel inaugurating the amphitheatre with a live performance. The name remained until 1996 when it became known as the Blockbuster Desert Sky Pavilion. This was until 2001 when it changed names to the Cricket Pavilion (2001-2006) and again to the Cricket Wireless Pavilion from 2006 to 2010. In 2010 it became the Ashley Furniture HomeStore Pavilion until 2013, after which things went full circle and the venue once again became the Desert Sky Pavilion.
The Ak-Chin Indian Community currently sponsors the venue and holds the naming rights.
The amphitheatre has a total capacity of 20,000 on a lawn surface, with 8,000 seats under the roof of the pavilion and 12,000 on the hillside beyond the pavilion. It therefore offers the largest capacity in the area for live music events and an awesome atmosphere. All of which has lead to live performances being used on bands live releases, most notable of which is Green Day's "Cigarettes and Valentines" and Fall Out Boys live album entitled "Live in Phoenix". It should also be noted that there are also several video screens to aid with viewing.
Some of the festivals the venue has held over the years include The Vans Warped Tour, Lollapalooza and Ozzfest.
Please bear in mind the following when attending the Ak-Chin Pavilion:
- The venue is located west of Phoenix off of Interstate 10. Exit off I-10 at 75th, 83rd ave or the HOV 79th. Go half a mile north of Interstate 10 between 79th and 83rd Avenues to reach the venue.
- Parking is incorporated into the ticket price for the majority of events, so there is no extra charge at the venue. Parking lots open two hours before the start of the show. VIP parking is available for $20 for each car, $40 per bus/limo/RV. VIP parking is reached from 79th Avenue.
- Call (602) 254-7200 for the Box Office.
- The Box Office is open on event days from 10am until the headline act takes to the stage.
- All events are rain or shine as the venue is located outside.
- Smoking is prohibited on the lawn although there is a smoking section in the East and West plazas.
- A concession menu is available with beer, wine and other alcoholic drinks sold requiring ID.
- Accessible seating is available in sections 100, 201, 202, 203, 204 & 205 with companion seats being bolted down. Wheelchair seating is space for a wheelchair to be placed. Limited mobility seating is available in sections 101, 203, 205 & 304. These seats are located near an aisle. Sight and hearing impaired seating is also available.
- The venue wants your experience to be as awesome as possible so some rules on what to bring and what not to bring exist to make sure everyone has a great time. Here is a general list, although this can vary depending on the event. You CAN bring; binoculars, seat cushions, ponchos, rain jackets, sunscreen, blankets, small umbrellas, non-professional camaras, chairs no higher than 9 inches, lawn chairs are avaialbe for rent onsite, one sealed water bottle with a 1.5 litre limit. Please do NOT bring alcohol, bottles, coolers, illegal drugs laser pointers, chairs higher than 9", pets (except service animals), professional cameras, video or audio recorders, strollers, weapons, flash photography, video and removable lens cameras.
- With safety in mind you may be subject to a search at some events and the venue reserves the right to refuse admission.
- All policies are subject to change for each event so please call the venue for up-to-date information.